Friday, March 23, 2007

We Speak in Metaphors About Love



The Poinsettia

She brought this into work a few years ago around the holidays—just a simple, small poinsettia with foil wrapping and full, blossoming leaves. It sat on top the microwave for the longest time and random people would water it from time to time (or it could have been just her and I watering it, I never really knew), keeping it alive well past xmas. I started watering it regularly, and when she was laid off, I took complete control of its care, which consisted of nothing more that giving it water. Sure, I initially did some extra care: I re-potted it, and I trimmed it once so it would stay full, but all I do now is give it water every few days and a little extra water on Fridays. It just grows and grows without any nurturing or attention at all. I recently cut off part of a branch to see if I could get a new plant started, but that hasn’t amounted to much. I’m pretty sure it has outgrown its pot again, and I have a feeling that it may tip over some day, but I’ve gotten rather ambivalent lately about putting forth any extra effort, so whatever happens, happens. It’s common sense that if I don’t re-pot it then it will fail someday, but I’ve made no plans to do much more than water it, and there’s no biting desire within me to start making any more care plans now. It’s there. It gets taller. I water it. Some day it will need more, and that some day is now. And I haven’t decided if I’m willing to do much more.

That goes for the both of us.

No comments: